Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Onward to New Orleans, Florida & Georgia!

June 22nd
Yes our car key is lost in Nashville. thankfully we have a spare. 11:20 am leaving Nashville. Before leaving we stopped off at the country music hall of fame and the grand ol opry...awesome & amazing! it's 92 degrees and we are at 4,500 miles. We decided last night to head to New Oreans it's only 8 hours away...we forget when it comes to us and the retarded idiot stuff we do...8 hours really means at least 11. We are already down this far...why not right, it will be a sight and experience we will never forget....once in a lifetime opportunity. Woops have to head back to the shell station we just left because I was smart and threw half of our map into the garbage...great now I get to dig through the garbage. retarded. 12:30 pm see the jack daniels distillary sign okay sounds good lets go there we have to use the restroom anywhere. thinking it is off
the exit. Didn't realize it was 45 minutes off the exit, we knew this 15 min after trying to find it...yes we went anyway, might as well right we have to pee.12:55 we see a goat farm, baby goats! Not to be mistaken by a chicken farm from the distance ;)
1:06 Jack Daniels Welcomes you. Jack is cool, we were in his once house in Lynchberg, TN which is now a musem thats pretty sweet. Bought a bottle of Jack exclusive to TN. Next destination Alabama!
3:22 Welcome to Alabama the Beautiful. 96 degrees. Alyson debates peeing in the bushes directly off the freeway...changes her mind. says she will wait til the gas station. good idea.
2:57 (I am so confused by the time change we semi keep going in and out of it) Sitting in a McDonalds parking lot...no not to eat mcdonalds but because we think it is a good idea to look through texts from the night before and facebook on our phone...really?!
4:30 pm find starbucks...woops gps doesn't tell us before the wild goose chase that the starbucks would actually be closed and no longer open for business...really!? Onto Mississippi after a KFC run and a bathroom break. yes we pull off at least once an hour...that could be the reason it takes us millions of hours to get anywhere.
6:59 pm Welcome to Mississippi. what the hell is making all that noise in the grass...what lives here seriously?! Not getting out of the car, no way no how. 94 degrees hot.
7:40 pm Music Video time obviously...the sun setting is absolutely amazing; it's bright red and making the sky super super red...it's awesome!
Get into Slidell Lousiana that night finally after our goose chases to find non ghetto hotels so we felt safe...took a good hour to do this back and fourth between towns and back and fourth between exits...hahaha yep. June 23rd
10:15 am Dead, dying, it's hotter than anything here holy cow. New Orleans here we come and we are so excited to see you!!!
Finally left Slidell at 11:02 pm...45 minutes later...after a brief post office run, rockstar and water run...our daily ritual. We just want crawfish!
After getting into New Orleans with no clue where to go...the streets are really confusing and they are so small and tiny. we finally found a parking structure off Bourbon street..asked the man if our car would be safe when he valet'd it. He parked it right in front of the office so he could keep an eye on it for us haha we dont know but figured since it was parked by mercedes and bmw's someone would break into those first if that were the case lol It was semi scary down there...and very very hot. Ate some amazing crawfish at a restaurant and walked around for a short bit but were told not to leave Bourbon street so we didn't want to. I asked alyson if she wanted to go and drive around neighborhoods when we left to see the houses from hurricane katrina...she thought i was asking her if she wanted to drink a hurricane drink at the bar...haha retard. Car was safe and sound at parking structure thank God, we can only imagine what kind of escapade we would be on if that was gone. We decide to just drive around for a bit through some neighborhoods and see what disaster is still there. It was absolutely unbelievable in a shocking manner. Pictures can't even describe what had happened to these neighborhoods and the shock how a lot of them have not even been re-built. It was scary, sad, & devistating with many more words to describe it. So much of it was still destroyed. It will be unforgettable what we saw & how a lot of the people still live in all of those areas and how you truly want to help and do work to get their city rebuilt to what it once was. We saw a few different groups helping re-buld some of the houses that were destroyed and it was very heart felt to know that there are still people out there who are still helping after almost 5 years.

4:26 48 miles to Pensacola FL...yes Florida. Somehow a few weeks ago we were as North as Montana and now we are in FL; seriously? We decide to take our friend Lauren's advice and stop to take a break and have a drink at a bar called Flora-bama which is right on the border of Florida and Alabama...you can have a drink in both states at the same time! 99 Degrees it's freakin hot and we are at 4,992 miles!
"Just ahead Florida Beaches, thats a sight I never thought I would see"-Me
5:11 Welcome to Florida, the sunshine state!
5:54 pm arrive at Flora-bama in Pensicola! This is an awesome bar/restaurant/place! It's HUGE and it extends out to the beach, SD should really think of getting a place like this! We wrote our names in the bar and the date we were there.
6:32 pm leaving Alabama again for the second time today and the third time in 2 days. Seriously we have been in Alabama 3 times already hahaha wow.
Need to get back on the road toward Savannah, GA. We are going to go as far as we can get til we get tired then will pull off...7 hours left til we get there, highly doubt we will make it.
6:50 pm pouring pouring pouring rain...like blankets of rain. Please no hurricanes Florida; we are not quite prepared for this :)
7:30 pm lightening starts lightening up the entire sky, bright and blue. we start recording...it's amazing; it's gorgous what colors it is making the sky. glad we are not in the storm that is coming from. 8:37 or 9:37 pm not quite sure with the time change stop to get Subway and just decide to keep driving neither of us are tired, we are very wide awake so why not get as far as we can get? See ya soon Savannah....estimated time 3 a.m.

I am not quite sure what time this takes place @ night I am guessing around 11 or so. We pull off to get gas...a ways from the freeway; not a lot there at all, there is a Shell sign and Alyson wants to change into sweats, okay perfect yay fine! I start pumping gas and am on the phone talking to my mom...look up and a huge car comes rolling up with super loud rap music and hydrolics all these guys get out of the car and start saying stuff to me, I'm just trying to talk to my mom! It starts lighting and thundering really loud, the rain pours down out of no where and then it starts to hail. Alyson comes running out of the bathroom laughing yelling "there was a mouse, I just saw a mouse hahaha" I'm so scared, I stop pumping gas...all of the guys are out of there car dancing around & from what I hear yelling things to the guys who were next to us pumping gas... "Alyson get in the car we are leaving hurry up!" I stop pumping gas put it back in the machine real fast she gets in the car we drive...I'm hyperventilating no clue what was going on. She my friend Alyson is yes dying laughing. "omg hahaha did you see them they were all dancing in the rain the one took his shirt off and was doing handstands" she says. Here I am telling my mom I have to go I have to go that I don't know what is going on. "I yell at her to drive get on the freeway go fast hurry what if they follow us" & yes she is still dying laughing. She asks me how much gas I put in the car, I yell at her "$8 dollars...DRIVE!" I tell her to pull off at the rest stop which was the next exit "turn off the lights, don't turn on the blinker...hurry! What if they find us and show us there...Grills!" I am literally yelling almost kinda crying and yes..my friend Alyson is still literally dying laughing...and she doesn't stop laughing about this for quite some time. I am in shock hahahaha it is now funny at the time I thought we were going to die.
5 seconds later it starts pouring, pourning rain like I have never seen it rain before. The lightening is awful, worse than it was before. I can't even talk. I am scared of the weather because I have never in my life seen rain like this. Alyson is driving slow...I can't speak anymore. She isn't laughing anymore...the rain was so bad. First we were going to die in a shoot out/kidnapping we get away haha second we are going to die in this freakin hurricane. She was re-assuring me everything will be fine. I can't speak, it was too much all at once and happened so fast. Yes I can make total fun of myself now and know I am a jack ass, but at the time OMG FML. We pull off into a gas station, I wont go in by myself. I was being a baby/brat...she was yet again laughing.
12:35 am we leave the gas station head for Georgia, Alanis Morrisette comes on Alyson immediatly says this was the song we got pulled over too in Minnessota. The sirens and cop lights come on...not again; come on Florida. He walks up to the car "you got everything in there but the kitchen sink" we are laughing, telling him we are moving. He tells us to slow down and stay at 65 checks her licenses and lets us go with yet another warning.
We stop at a gas station, ask the woman where the 84 east highway is she asks us if we are driving a car or driving a big truck...do we look like truckers??
1:52 am we stop to use restroom and there Alyson is shooing kittens to not crawl into a cars engine. the gas station attendant tells her all 12 of the kittens are his.
4:34 am we finally get on the I-95 North, I look to my right and yes there are 3 wild pigs/hogs hanging out and playing with eachother on the side of the interstate.
6 am from sunset to sunrise! It was an amazing amazing sunset...so huge and bright, lit up the sky! It was awesome! We didn't see Georgia...even though we drove through it. We decided the night before since we were so wide awake we would drive all the way to Charlston S.C. and find a beach to sleep on for rest before we drive again...so that is what we are going to do.
6:14 am Alyson is looking all over for her phone; it's clearly in her hand and open to her facebook. This is a clear sign we have been in the car for way tooooo long!

No comments:

Post a Comment